Kids and Christmas.

It's the giving season.
 
 
I've always loved kids. I was a big sister in the Big Brother Big Sister program in San Diego for a year. I would drive an hour away every Wednesday to hang out with my little sister for an hour. Okay, AND to beat kids in handball. Yes, they would line up to play me. Even the kids not in the program. And no, I didn't just let them win. I'm not that good of a person ;) My little sister came from a "disadvantaged" home. She was one of six kids, and her mom worked at Pizza Hut. I can't imagine trying to feed, clothe, and provide for six kids on that income.

My little sister inspired me to want to help more kids. Last year I participated in the Salvation Army/JcPenny Angel Tree program which allowed you to find an angel (kid or elderly person) who needed help with having a gift to open on Christmas. I was looking forward to doing it again this year. However, JcPenny is no longer hosting this program online. I mean, this must mean JcPenny hates children? Half kidding. I am pretty bummed there is no way to adopt an angel online though. They made it SO convienent and I feel like a lot of kids won't be adopted this year because people are busy! I will be marching my butt down to the Salvation Army this weekend and adopting an angel.

I had such a great experience last year. It was SO rewarding. After looking at the MANY kids in my zip code that needed a Christmas, I chose a five year old boy who was asking for a tent. Uh, what kid doesn't deserve a tent?! I was a tenter myself as a kid, so I picked him. I got him this sweet pimped out Disney Cars tent with a tunnel attached, some pj pants, and a fleece pullover for under $50. I was really passionate and excited about helping my little friend last year and somehow got EIGHT other kids adopted through friends and friends of friends. This may have been the greatest contribution I'd done last year.

This year, you can do this too. All you have to do is find some time to go to your local Salvation Army and pick an angel there. If you can't afford $50, that's okay. But if you can afford $25 or you're a thrifty shopper, imagine the smile you could put on a kid's face. Even something small could be something huge to someone else. A smile that might not have been there on Christmas morning if it wasn't for you. If you can't swing it this year, spreading the word could lead to more kids being "adopted" because of you. That's just as helpful!

Kids don't understand why Santa didn't come if they were good...and hell, Santa came for me even when I was bad.

Think about it. That's all I ask. And maybe tell someone.
 
Can't make it down to the Salvation Army?
Consider donating $5 to to make this lovely family.

How do you give back during the holiday season?
I know sometimes it's hard to find time to give back. I'm always looking for new ways to contribute.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post Hollie. I will be heading to my Salvation Army this weekend thanks to your inspiration and the information you provided. Is that all you do, just go there and go in and ask about the Angel program?

    p.s. WFT JC Penny?

    ReplyDelete

Thank YOU for your comments. <3