Summer Style Series Vol 1.5: What Makes Me Happy

I hope you have all enjoyed my Summer Style Series this week! Last but not least we have Marissa at What Makes Me Happy. Her blog is full of quirky pictures that make my heart melt, fun to read lifestyle posts, and my personal favorite....really awesome accessories! I love checking her page for new finds on clutches, nails, and fabulous style photos that inspire me. Oh and I am insanely insanely jealous on her Rebecca Minkoff find....but you will just have to keep reading to find out the details on that one!


Hollie: Why did you start blogging?
Marissa: I started blogging because I was in desperate need of a creative outlet. I had just finished the fall semester of my senior year of college and was freaking out because I was also preparing to move across the country, so I really needed an escape. I also thought it would be a fun way for my family and friends to keep up with my life after I moved to LA. 

Hollie: What's something your readers don't know about you?
Marissa: I am one of four children in my family! I have three sisters, so my house is full of women-my poor dad!

Hollie: Describe your personal style in five words.  
Marissa: Eclectic, Laid-Back, Loud, Cozy, and Feminine- words that one would never think go together, until they see my closet anyway.

Hollie: What inspires your style?
Marissa: So many things! I draw inspiration from other bloggers, old movies, and girls I see on the street in LA and infuse pieces of their outfits I like into my own style. I used to look for celebrities for inspiration, but I think seeing how other "real girls" are working trendy pieces into their wardrobes is so much more fun. 

Hollie: What items can't you live without?
Marissa: I have a black vintage dress of my Grandmother's that I would die if I lost it. She used to wear it to work in the 50's and the silhouette is one that never goes out of style. Wearing it makes me feel close to home and it's so fun to dress up or down. I also have to have a comfy pair of ballet flats, an oversize button-down, and perfectly broken in jeans.

Hollie: Where are your favorite places to shop? 
Marissa: I am a total shopping addict and I don't discriminate when it comes to the stores and websites I frequent! I shop everywhere- I love resale and consignment shops like Buffalo Exchange and Goodwill, but I also love getting affordable trendy pieces at H&M, Forever 21, Gap and Kaitlyn. When I want a good deal on great pieces, I look online at ideeli, Gilt, Hautelook and MyHabit.  I've also been exploring the boutiques in LA since I'm so new to the city and love hunting down independent designers! 

Hollie: What's the best deal you've gotten lately?
Marissa: By far one of the best deals I've ever gotten was my Rebecca Minkoff MAB on Gilt. I've been coveting Minkoff bags for years, but I just graduated from college and haven't been able to justify the price tag. I got my daily sale alert from Gilt and saw the Rebecca Minkoff sale and snagged myself a gorgeous red bag for about 70% off. I may have harassed my UPS guy everyday until he finally dropped off my new baby.

Hollie: You can buy any three things. What would you pick?
Marissa: I would pick a large quilted leather black flap Chanel bag because it will never go out of style and is so chic, a pair of nude Brian Atwood pumps because his shoes are like little works of art, and a great pair of jeans in a dark wash straight cut.

Hollie: What would the fashion police catch you on?
Marissa: When I'm feeling super lazy, I usually throw on a super old pair of BKE capris and a flannel button down- and sometimes I repeat that outfit twice a week. Such a fashion faux pas, but I work in retail and sometimes comfort trumps style when you're on your feet for 8 hours a day.
Hollie: Last but not least! What blogs inspire you ?
Marissa: My blog roll is always changing and growing, but I have several favorites that I make sure to visit daily: Cupcakes & Cashmere, Sterling Style, Sea of Shoes, The Glamouri, The Rockstar Diaries, Cheetah is the New Black, Adored Austin, and The Dainty Squid are all so fun and I love that they all have unique voices. Notice that every single one also features great photography, which makes me want to amp up my photography skills. 


Everyone have a safe and amazingly fun fourth of July! Can't wait to read about all of your eventful weekends on Tuesday :)

7 comments:

  1. Totally going to check out Marissa's blog! Her style sounds a lot like mine - and I am soo incredibly jealous that I didn't jump on that Rebecca Minkoff deal on Gilt!

    Have a happy 4th of July! :)

    -j
    sorelle in style

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to check her out now! Have a happy 4th!

    blair @ scsd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing about Marissa - love checking out new blogs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Hollie for including me! You are too sweet! xoxo Marissa

    http://happiness-is-the-little-things.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally going to check her blog out! I love that you do this its so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marissa- it was great to learn more about you. Your blog is fantastic!

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, another awesome style post! I'm excited to check out her blog :) You have such fashionable friends! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank YOU for your comments. <3